Health and Safety
The key to Western Areas' success is the health, safety and professional development of its employees.
Key initiatives and achievements include:
- On-site Occupational Health & Safety and Emergency Response teams;
- Regular safety and mines rescue training, coordinated by ER teams and including First Aid, BG4's, underground search and rescue, rope rescue, vehicle extrication, open circuit breathing apparatus, fire fighting and HazChem;
- Implementation of comprehensive safety procedures;
- Preparation and distribution of a regular Emergency Response newsletter;
- Introduction of new equipment and the establishment of training rooms and an outside training facility at Flying Fox; and
- A Professional Development program that gives employees exposure to the lead auditor of OHS Management Systems, the opportunity to undertake OHS Diploma studies and courses in open and closed breathing apparatus, vehicle extrication, vertical rope, fire, HazChem and Emergency First Responder training.
Decontamination Training May 2012